Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Settling down

A quick post before everything becomes blurry and incoherent in my mind with the long list of tasks I need to get done to enter normality here in our new hometown, H-O-U-S-T-O-N.

Luckily Ella is already on the normality path with starting private kindergarten at Primrose of Sugar Land on Monday, two days after moving here. She loves it and we're thankful to the wonderful staff and teachers that welcomed her with open arms. (I am so impressed with this school franchise as everywhere we went, three different schools so far, the experience has been great. Some day, Hrishi and I, are hoping to maybe take on a franchise. Wouldn't that be fun? Some day...) Today she got to go on a field trip to the Fort Bend library (and was going to be able to check out a book too!) She loves books and especially to be able to pick her own at the library. I can't wait to hear everything about it. She also likes her new bedroom and has slept through the night in there. Not something I expected when going through this big of a change. But she's one super duper little girl I love so very much.

A big water fan, she's super excited about the nice swimming pool right around the corner. With this 80F weather, we'll probably be dipping in there soon!


Almost all boxes that came to the apartment with us are unpacked, thanks to my sweet wonderful husband who is so so hard-working, selfless, and just the best! I did put most of the kitchen together but still, I don't know what I would have done without his help. Our apartment complex is in the middle of this beautiful lush area with trees, bushes and flowers. In fact, is kind of hard to find a spot around here that doesn't have beautiful trees and landscaping. Even Walmart and Sam's club which are literally five minutes away have a really nice elaborate landscaping. Another thing I'm noticing and liking about places here is that almost every single building, be it a store or business, small or big, is made out of brick. And I love brick. 

Lifetime Fitness, our gym is a two-minute drive away from the apartment. Could have I asked for more? Nope! :) Now, I just have to get well enough to go back to exercising. With my herniated disc issues, my only option for the next few months is cardio. The only body parts I can do strength for will be my legs and my abs. Not too bad, if I can just keep thinking this way and not let my mind wander back at the awesome full-body workouts I was once able to do. Not an option anymore. (I'm trying hard to stay positive and be patient. NOT easy...)

Hrishi's liking his new job a lot. He's already got a lot on his plate but that's a good thing. I'm so happy for him and I know he's going to do a great job. He's meeting a lot of good smart people at work and is happy to have folks that he can learn from. Mentorship is so important no matter where you are in your career.

Today I went in for my first steroid cervical shot. (I'll be doing a series of three after which I start PT.) I was nervous being the first time I had to get one and anticipating the post-anesthesia effects that I've experienced in the past. (Nausea and vomitting.) And although they gave me a anti-nausea med through IV, I still did it, but luckily after I got home. Felt much better afterwards so I laid down for a long nap. Now, I'm feeling as well as can be expected after general anesthesia. I was even able to go back to work for a meeting. Luckily it was not my meeting, so I just had to listen in. (Did I mention that I really like my new home office? It's sure a blessing to count.) Something that brighten my day while waiting in the pre-op area while hooked to an IV, and dressed down in a gown (not my favorite things, you know), was overhearing another lady who was just waking up from her anesthesia and was so sweet and courteous, praising the nurses and the anesthiologist, it was really nice and comforting to hear her talk. She said that she was always happy no matter what, that she loved to smile at everyone. That is just a wonderful way to be, isn't it? I made a decision right there to smile more. I hope that I can.

Speaking of normality, this girl is back in business. First time she climbed those walls, she owned it:

Bouldering, anyone? (In case you're wondering, it's climbing horizontally under 5 feet across the walls with no safety harness.) She loves that too.


And one final thought or observation: people here in Sugar Land are sweet! Sound corny, I know but everyone I met so far at the dr's office, at the store and at the beauty salon have been such awfully nice and sweet. This really neat lady even exchanged the pair of Speedo pink flip-flops she had bought for her daughter who's wearing the same size as I do, for my purple pair. Made my day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're all setttling in! I hope you heal soon! Pupici!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for new beginnings! I'm sure you'll feel at home and make new, good friends in no time! It's in your sweet nature. :) Good luck with your treatments and have a speedy recovery. Prayers coming your way! Much love, xoxo

    ReplyDelete

October Birthday!

Ella turns 12!!!!! Lots of milestones: graduated from Primary, moved into Young Women's, got her temple recommend. She is such an a...