Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Tri" not to suck!

This awesomely athletic, mother-of-four friend from our ward posted this on her FB wall. She did a triathlon on Labor Day and said she saw this on a t-shirt at her first tri ever and stuck with her. Funny little "saying" and although not overly motivational, sometimes it does come to just that, not sucking! Lol! :)
So here I am: a very very very beginner pre-tri athlete (should I even call myself that??) stuck in a rut with my (tri) training. Having so much stuff going on (adoption training and school-start), I didn't make to the gym last week. In fact, last Saturday was my first time to swim in almost two weeks. Yes, seriously! Although I really want to do this event, with having met my weight loss goal, it just seems harder and harder to get motivated and get working hard. (I guess that's why I really signed up for this in the first place: to set a new goal, to get myself to go one tiny step further past my weight loss thing.) Some pep talk from my trainer got me back on track though.(Thank you very much!) If I am not going to train hard and prepare for this, I will be dissapointed with myself. He couldn't be more right. Keep in mind, we're talking about somebody who was dissappointed for not being in the top 20 finishers for the Boot Camp event (never wrote about this and now you know WHY! lol :-)) And I prepared pretty well for that one.
(We've been very fortunate to get these member loyalty rewards at our club Lifetime Fitness and I've been putting them to good use getting a couple of additional personal training sessions for FREE, yeay!)

So a couple of days back, although not in swimming, I broke a personal record with my interval (see the little green captions on the picture.) It makes me happy and gives me the boost that I need to keep going at it.


Because like with everything else in life, it is about doing better or doing more than you did yesterday, and not doing better or more than somebody else did/does.  (And I DO have to SPELL ALL THIS OUT IN MY HEAD over and over again almost every time I see someone taller or slimmer running like there is no tomorrow on that treadmill.) And I also have to remember that we're always supposed to do the best that WE CAN with what WE HAVE. In this case, for me that's a 142 lb body on a 5' 2" frame and with a genetically high heart rate, but with lots of will power or maybe just STUBBORNESS! :))

(This was going to be a very quick short post but can't stop now...!)

One final word: this realization, knowledge, resiliance, and whatever else it is, came ONE DAY AT A TIME. One day at a time of profuse sweating, pain, and tears, one day at a time of strict dieting (of saying no to things once I used to love), one day at a time of prayers and work, and then more work and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October Birthday!

Ella turns 12!!!!! Lots of milestones: graduated from Primary, moved into Young Women's, got her temple recommend. She is such an a...