Friday, July 29, 2011

Transition and change

I have been having mixed feelings these past few days about new beginnings and how we always seemed to be pushed into some kind of change or new experience. These have been mostly triggered by Ella's continuing summer camp at a new Primrose school, the same school that would pick her up from kindergarten and provide after-school services for her. We decided to start her there now as opposed to when kindergarten starts end of August, in hopes that she would be able to meet and make new friends who may be attending kindergarten with her. She loves her old Primrose school, teachers and friends, the familiarity of it, and understandly so she was not excited about this move. In fact, she told me last night that she did not like this decision at all. I tried to explain and comfort, letting her know that I completely understood how she felt (because I really did and do as I'm not a huge fan of change myself!) and that I felt the same way she did. On the bright side of this change:  the school operates pretty much the same way as her old school does and the people are nice and she quickly adapts and adjusts so she'll be fine. I'm still a bit nervous but I pray she'll have a smooth transition. This will probably be good practice and help make the kindergarden going transition smooth too.

As much as I know and strongly believe change is good for us, my heart still breaks to see her leave good teachers, friends, familiar classrooms, hallways, etc. all behind and embark on a new adventure, put herself out there all over again, getting to know new teachers, building new relationships and a new sense of familiarity. But that's what life is all about.

So glad the weekend is here though and we have each other.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope she adjusts quickly. Change is hard for most people but also welcome at times. I am worried about the changes taken place at my work. It will be a very interesting year. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Transitions are hard on all of us, especially on little children. I'm sure she'll be fine though. She is such an amazing little girl and will quickly win the heart of everyone around her, making lots of new friends.

    ReplyDelete

October Birthday!

Ella turns 12!!!!! Lots of milestones: graduated from Primary, moved into Young Women's, got her temple recommend. She is such an a...