Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dreams (of sewing)

Usually when I think of dreams I think of big ones like the ones that have to do with family, happiness, bright future, health, and well-being, etc.  But there are also little dreams. One of my little dreams that's been budding and budding in my head for a while now is to start sewing. Yes, sewing! For those of you who know me, it's kind of hard to believe it as I never had any inclination, talent, or desire whatsoever for this kind of stuff. I always admired those who did, my sweet late maternal grandmother being one of those, mamaie Dutu. She sewed so many dresses for me and my cousin, my mom and my aunt, made alteration after alteration to pants, skirts, and dresses throughout our childhood and teenage years. My mom too made a few things for me! One of them being my 8th grade prom dress! :)

And then I have this other very sweet childhood memory from my paternal grandmother, mamaie Teia who although did not sew herself, had a good friend who did and always had her make these beautiful nighties and PJ's for me and my other cousin. I remember the cute patterns and soft fabric she would get for us!
So, I'd really love to be able to sew simple things like skirts, nigthies, blankets, maybe bedsheets, pillow cases, etc. [I think I can or at least I should be able to, with a little effort!]

I recently bought this pretty little skirt I'm in love with. It's chic, easy, yet a bit dressy. My perfect kind of skirt.  I was looking at the cut the other way and it seemed (key word here!!) very easy to make.

I've only stepped foot in JoAnne's a couple of times in my life but the multitude of pretty fabrics, patterns, and textures has stuck to me. Plus, it sounds like there are so many online shops you can order from nowadays, like this one.

Do you have any favorite shops, free pattern websites, or other sewing resources you'd like to share? :)
(First things first, though! I need to get myself a sewing machine! Any recommendations? I want to start simple, not too fancy or too pricey.)

1 comment:

  1. I have absolutely zero recommendations. Sorry! Sewing is one of those things that I won't even attempt, except for a little mending here and there. I admire people who can do it though. I tried and failed miserably. Good luck to you! I know you'll do GREAT! I'm excited to see your first finished product!

    ReplyDelete

October Birthday!

Ella turns 12!!!!! Lots of milestones: graduated from Primary, moved into Young Women's, got her temple recommend. She is such an a...