Friday, April 8, 2011

From Primrose to Bluebonnet



This morning Hrishi made this funny/cute/witty comment that Ella will be soon making the transition from Primrose School to Bluebonnet Elementary, all this while we were driving to drop-off Ella to Primrose and noticed some primrose flowers on the side of the road! Ha! :) This transition though (minus the flower name connection) is something I've been thinking of lately and even getting jitters about the whole thing... it's probably because next week it's kindergarten registration and I know it's coming and there's no escaping it: my baby is growing up and will be attending big kid school soon. Where did the years go? It was like yesterday she was my baby all cradled in my arms and these days were so far ahead in the future. Now they are here in the inescapable present.

You see, I'm not concerned with her ability to cope academically, as she's been taught well at Primrose and she's basically doing 1st grade curriculum right now, but it does make me nervous to know she'll surrounded by these hundreds of kids in this big elementary school with new teachers, new schedules, new requirements, new lunch routine, peer pressure, no naps, etc.

I know she'll be just fine but still, I worry and pray and hope it'll be a smooth transition and a great experience for her and us all. There's a lot that goes on in the school system here (in the U.S.) in the way parents are or can get involved and while exciting, it's also a little bit overwhelming, I think. But as Hrishi puts it: there's nothing to worry about as I have the PTA president living next door so I can always call or walk over to chat with her. Ok... ?!?

All you mothers whose kids have gone through this, please help! :-)

2 comments:

  1. It's NEVER an easy transition (on me, the mother that is lol). The kids are fine with the school, getting accustomed to everything, making new friends and so forth. I am the one that has such a hard time letting go. I discovered though that the best thing to do for them and for me is to volunteer in the classroom. I am not a big fan of PTA, so I'm not even gonna touch that topic. BUT, I do spend one hour for every child, every week at their class. I do things such as work with them on the questions they missed on tests (explaining what they needed to do), math, comprehension, reading and stuff like that. I also get to check on my own kids (he he he) and stay in touch with the teachers. It's a great way to stay involved and actually make a difference for them academicaly. I discovered that one of the main reasons some kids do poor on tests and they don't read very well is because no one ever spends one on one time with them, which is very sad. And I get to do that one time a week and it helps them a lot.
    Sorry, this is sooo long! But Ella will do fine. She's super smart and adorable, and you both are amazing parents that are very involved and concerned about her. So everyone will be fine. Ok, I'm done! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice Ioana:)Si eu zic la fel daca poti sa mergi sa participi in clasa sunt sigura ca o sa te simti mai bine. Si eu am emoti pentru gradinita cu Andrew chiar daca cunosc toata scoala si fiecare profesor/profesoara in parte. Dar Andrew abea asteapta:))) si cred ca este la fel si cu printesa ta.

    ReplyDelete

October Birthday!

Ella turns 12!!!!! Lots of milestones: graduated from Primary, moved into Young Women's, got her temple recommend. She is such an a...