Sunday, February 12, 2012

I did it!!!

I ran   in this...



Yes, this Saturday I ran my first 15K race ever in the freezing cold temperatures above. The news of nasty weather ahead didn't change the feeling of excitement and the rush I had started feeling a week before the race. Of course, the night before the race I got hardly any sleep. Mixed in with the excitment was a little bit of nervousness as around midnight I checked my email on my phone and the organizers were advising 15 K registrants who ran 12 minute mile or more to switch over to the 5K race due to the freezing cold temperatures. I wasn't going there for a 5K, so I decided to 'man up' and stick with the 15K. I had planned on wearing enough layers and my heart was willing beyond anything.

Shoes equipped with the little D-tag that was going to record the start and finish times, feet ready to run! :)


Start line: the energy there in the middle of the crowd was electrifying!!!

And here I go... Hrishi somehow took a picture of me, a little after we took off, we're going uphill.


The miles were long but running along side the rest of the 2,999 runners registered for the 15K, was like nothing I had experienced before. It was worth every bit of effort. Positive thoughts of recognizing how blessed I was to be able to do this and that I was there to enjoy it because it was not going to last forever, helped me through. There were a few moments of pure exhaustion but there also those of exhilliration where I would sprint and feel free as a bird in the wide blue sky. The mile markers with timers helped a lot. Seeing that I was running a 10 minute mile was HUGE booster for me. A new personal record. The adrenaline had something to do with it, I'm sure.
(The Gatorade handed out at every mile marker was pure manna, too.)

At some point on the last mile and a half, I was feeling like my feet were going to detach from my legs. I knew the Finish line couldn't be that far but yet it seemed like it was going to take forever to reach it. I instantly told myself that this was my time to enjoy, my time to feel and experience it all, pain and joy all mixed together, that once I crossed that Finish line, I was going to feel like I never felt before and so it was.

On the last 50 yards I sprinted like a mad woman and crossed the Finish line with a huge victory shout or growl or I don't know what because I was so high!! (I wonder what others might have thought, haha!! But I didn't care! I had done it! I had ran my first 15 K!) When I saw Hrishi, I just crashed into his arms and started sobbing uncontrollably, yes I know, prett crazy! But this was so huge for me.

With my greatest supporter, ever!! Freezing and worried for me. While he didn't doubt that I could finish, he was worried about me getting a bad cold. He is a sweetheart, isn't he?!!

After I found a little spot to stretch out, we quickly made our way inside the Automotive building where the amazing rich (almost too rich for me) hot chocolate and fondue were flowing rivers. :)




No, I'm not kidding here... :) (sprinting madness!!!!)


Just because I like numbers:




My other cheering squad was eagerly waiting for me at home. They were so sweet to take a picture of my wind jacket:


Having the house up for sale has caused quite an inconvenience having to keep it un spic n' span condition  and leave every so often on very short notice for one or two hour blocks.  Yesterday, after the race, we had to rush home, pick everyone up and go to the gym so that I could take a hot shower to warm up. (I am still not completely warm, I don't think. That cold got in my bones, that's for sure.) Unfortunately, Ella had developed a fever that morning, had a sore throat and was feeling yucky. So after the gym shower we went to Urgent Care fearing strepthroat. Luckily, she didn't have strep, just a viral infection. As it turns out, it's really stomach flu. Blah!!! But she's so sweet and selfless: today she told me that she'd give me anything I needed (knowing that I was sore), and massaged my legs. My wonderful daughter.




Finally, after the showings we came back home and had a little 'after-the-race' party: grilled some yummy pork shoulder, baked sweet and yellow potatoes, threw together a garden salad, and some steamed brocolli and had a feast! Oh, and Hrishi made these yummy refreshing fruitty drinks out of mango nectar, grenadine, and coconut cream, to die for!!








To some it may sound like I'm making too big a deal out of it. And maybe I am, but you know what, it helps me appreciate and be grateful for how far I have gotten and motivates me to keep going further and further. Placing overall at #1960 out of 3,000 participants, and  #283 out of the 480 women in my age group, has made me realize (once more) that there is no limit to what you set your mind to do, if you do believe in yourself and work hard enough to see it through. It strengthened my belief that this, my body, is capable of doing much more than I thought it would; that there are hardly any limits that can't be broken through.


So this was my wish, to be a runner. I can confidently say that I am one after this Saturday's race. I can be a better one and I will. I want to run a half-marathon by the end of the year and I will, God willing.

I will keep celebrating this victory of mine with much gratitude to Him for making it possible for me to do this, for giving me a healthy body and a willing heart. Willing enough to train hard and push my limits. I am so so thankful for the wonderful husband, daughter, parents, and in-laws that I have. For the friends who cheered and supported me so far. I'm grateful for my trainer, the one and only John Lee who put those dumb bells in my hands and taught me that nothing is impossible, that discipline, hard work, and dedication are the ingredients for success in sports, as welll as in everything else.


(In my case, I have never even dreamed to get/run this far.) 
What started back in 2010 as a weight loss program, is now a lifestyle change, a great gift of joy that keeps on giving.

I look forward to getting back in the gym tomorrow to work this body again. :)

2 comments:

  1. WOW si FELICITARI, Cristina!!! You are so amazing! Esti super tare si dai speranta si altora ca mine ca totul e posibil, atata timp cat muncesti pt lucrul respectiv.
    Succes cu mutatul si cu toate schimbarile!
    Multi pupici!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! To me in a race it doesn't matter the placement as it matters the fact that I fininsh a race. That is a HUGE accomplishment. I have no doubt that you can do a half marathon and can't wait to hear all about it! I also hope sweet little Ella feels better by now.
    Pupici!

    ReplyDelete

October Birthday!

Ella turns 12!!!!! Lots of milestones: graduated from Primary, moved into Young Women's, got her temple recommend. She is such an a...