Wednesday, August 31, 2011

First week report

The first week of school was crazy but somehow we managed to survive it! Getting up at 6:15 in the morning was the hardest part, followed by all the little tasks that had to be done by 7:25 when we had to leave for school. Heating-up the thermos and  heating up the food to go into the thermos were two of those.

I guess being a mother of a child with food allergies has made me into a bit of crazy person! Or maybe my own craze for eating healthy and balanced, or I don't know what I else has contributed... But ever since Ella was old enough to start solids, I ALWAYS made sure that her meals included one or two veggies, protein, grains, and a piece of fruit. And this awareness and desire to feed her the best that I could have increased when she turned nine months old and tested positive for dairy, milk, peanut and treenut allergies. Food allergies add a lot of stress to life. Really the stress comes in when you know your child does not really have any options (like choosing one of the lunch caffeteria menu items) but most importantly, when you realize they may not be safe at school. That's been my biggest stress, my biggest crazy-thing-to-worry-about on this first week of school.  My sweetheart made it easy on me though by constantly telling me that she would never eat or share food with/from anyone because she doesn't want to have a reaction or use the safety thing (that is the Epi-pen), how she calls it. [She is so aware and careful that sometimes I feel I can see through her little body, the mature and adult spirit she brings from heaven.] The school teacher, nurse, and all the staff have been really wonderful about this so far.

I think I even figured out how much she will eat in the 15-30 mins lunch break they get at 10:30 am!!!! Yes, that's when the have lunch.  On the first few days she would bring back almost all the food untouched saying she didnt' have enough time to eat. Poor thing, lots of changes thrown at her and at all children of her age starting school.

So we survived first week, yeay!!

Sweetie pie with her 3-D peacock. (She worked so hard to carefully color all the tail feathers and then put it together with daddy's help.)


Sweetie pie in a swim make-up class. Two or three levels up. She did a good job though trying to keep pace with the seven and eight year olds in the class. (I threw in a couple of other by-the-pool pictures as that's Ella's and my favorite past time when we can fit it in.)


And while I'm at it, I think a quick update on our backyard project is in order!


Can't wait for it all to be finished! It will be really pretty.

2 comments:

  1. Ce frumos ati facut la gard si tot. Si ma bucur ca totul e OK la Ella la scoala. Imi inchipui ce stres sa iti trimiti copilul la scoala cand stii ca are alergii asa puternice. Sunt singura insa ca vor face totul posibil sa aiba grija de ea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the first day went great and that Ells is so amazingly aware of things! I mean, most 5 year olds are completely lost in space...:) She is AMAZING and so are you!!!
    I love the work done on your yard too. When are you guys coming to do ours too? LOL Just kidding!:)

    ReplyDelete

October Birthday!

Ella turns 12!!!!! Lots of milestones: graduated from Primary, moved into Young Women's, got her temple recommend. She is such an a...