Thursday, March 24, 2011

Not Dutch, but certainly fans of dutch-oven cooking ...

The Elder's Quorum in our ward has this fun "Camping 101" type activity last Saturday. Hrishi was invited to team up with his new buddy in the ward and put together a dish. Having never cooked in a dutch oven, we (or should I say "I"?)  were/was a little reticent of the outcome... but I however had full confidence in Hrishi's excellent cooking skills. His buddy had a recipe that involved lots of veggies, chicken, garlic, and ginger but was looking for something a little special to set their dish apart. Well, Hrishi just happened to have that special ingredient: his mom's amazing homemade chilli powder/masala. Now imagine all the chicken, veggies, and spices emerged in rich coconut milk! The outcome was out of this world! Good thing they cooked two pots as many came back for seconds! I was beyond myself, of course, getting praises for my husband's culinary talent every which way I turned! :)


Aside from the delicious food (a couple of the other teams made some really yummy berry, apple, and peach cobblers), we did learn a lot of cool things such as dutch-oven cooking techniques, camping etiquette and gear. Now if I could just convince myself that I can sleep in a tent for one night!!! Just kidding, I do love the outdoors and I'm looking forward to us having a few camping outings this fall. (Summer is just not the time you want to go camping in TX.)

2 comments:

  1. Now you got me curious on what techniques you learned. I never cooked in a dutch over while camping and I want to learn how. What should I know? We will do some camping this summer for sure. I am sure his dish was delicious. I wish you could post some Indian food recipes on your other blog, spices needed, etc. Of course, all that in all your spare time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!! I agree with Madi that you should post some Indian recipes on the food blog. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never had Indian food!!! Well, I never really had the chance... But I LOVE spicy food and I understand that Indian food is spicy.:)
    Anyway, Dave LOVES cooking on the Dutch oven while camping with his scouts. I have never cooked in one, so I don't know the huge difference that everyone's talking about. Maybe this summer when we go camping.

    ReplyDelete

October Birthday!

Ella turns 12!!!!! Lots of milestones: graduated from Primary, moved into Young Women's, got her temple recommend. She is such an a...