Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A style of our own

Modesty was never an issue around here and I hope won't be for a loooong time (or better yet, never.) But I realize it's just me hoping and when those teenage years will hit or even before that, we'll encounter some challenges or questions or pleadings to wear one thing or another that is cool or fashionable and worn by best friends, just because there is so much peer pressure from the world around us.

Just recently we had some conversations on what is modest and what is not, as sweet Ella was begging for a two-piece swim suit. At first I thought there was no harm in it, and truly it is not, not in the wearing of it per se. And I am grateful for my hubby for helping with this decision when he came down with a definite "NO." No midrif exposure and that was it. And I'm so happy he said that. As I had reasoned this one in my head, I concluded that if I allowed or encouraged a certain type of dress standard now, it'd be much harder to change or waiver from it later. And this goes both ways, if two-piece swim suit is ok now, why shouldn't be ok later? If I am wearing sleeved shirts, t-shirts, knee-length skirts, dresses, and shorts now, why should I change that later? In fact, it'll be much easier to stick to the latter if we made this decision early on.

So we found the perfect cute little swim suit that covers the mid-rif yet is fun and fashionable!!!! Ella was happy with it, needless to say.
This is more for me to remember that I need to stick to my guns and not give in--laying the right foundation NOW and building upon it in the coming years, will hopefully help avoid confusion, heartache, frustration and whatever else that is not good. I love this article.

2 comments:

  1. Costumasul e superb si modest! Intr-adevar, trebuie sa-i invatam de mici. Si fetitele mele ma rugau cand erau mai mici sa le las sa poarte haine la "moda" si ne-a luat ceva timp sa le explicam de ce nu sunt adecvate pentru noi. Acum cand mergem sa cumparam haine, stiu deja ce pot sa aleaga. Bravo for sticking to your guns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Now days are children are tempted more than we ever were, so you are starting her on the right path. Even if we (or I) wore 2 pieces I wouldn't let my children wear them now (except for tankinis).
    There are also a lot of bad men out there... I can't believe we go to the public pool and there are these little girls in bikinis and they obviously don't stay down and their chest is showing. I don't think there is anything wrong with 2 pieces... as long as they cover enough.

    ReplyDelete

October Birthday!

Ella turns 12!!!!! Lots of milestones: graduated from Primary, moved into Young Women's, got her temple recommend. She is such an a...