Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Family Home Evening Jingles

In my church we are counseled to set some time aside every week to spend with our families and use that time to learn something, play games, and just have fun together. It's called family home evening. Last night we had an activity at church where one of the ladies in the ward taught about "Family Home Evening Jingles" and how we can make the most out of this special family time by planning ahead, having something specific to teach each other, using object lessons, role playing, keeping it short and simple (especially when you have young children), and just thinking outside the box. I was excited to go because I know our family home evenings need some extra jingle. I'm not the "object lesson" type person and I need a lot of help and ideas in coming up with something fun that will capture Ella's attention. Some great ideas for games were shared, here's one that I'm excited to try in our next F.H.E.'s:
  • The Scripture Bag: let every family member put a bunch of random things in a bag and then take turns pulling one item out at the time and telling a scripture story/event that goes with the object. For example, with a piece of fruit/apple, orange you could talk about Adam and Eve, Lehi's vision of the tree of life, and others.  With a toy boat you could talk about the flood and Noah's ark, etc. I love this one and can't wait to try it.
The bottom line is to plan ahead and pray for inspiration to know what your family needs to hear or be taught at that particular time. (I also got some great ideas from my dear friend's blog and her friends sharing their ideas in the comments section, read those too.)

I'm so grateful for my church leaders and their counsel to form this special family tradition that will bring us closer together as a family and help us teach values to our children.  Ella always looks forward to it.

And while I was getting more educated on F.H.E., my sweet hubby, Hrishi took Ella to our local library for Family Reading night where they had a great time. So grateful for him and what a wonderful father he is.

1 comment:

  1. Ideea cu scripture bag e foarte buna si eficace cu copii mici. M-am uitat si la blogul prietenei tale si am vazut ca si ei au facut chestia cu hartia de desenat. De cate ori ne jucam asa, e distractie mare, si copiii rad de nu mai pot.:)

    ReplyDelete

October Birthday!

Ella turns 12!!!!! Lots of milestones: graduated from Primary, moved into Young Women's, got her temple recommend. She is such an a...